Tuesday, April 7, 2015

2015 White House Easter Egg Roll

Forgive me for lack of posting lately. Between apartment searching, an increased workload at my full time job, and grad school it has been difficult to find time to blog. However, this experience is something I have to share!

This past Monday, April 6th was the 137th White House Easter Egg Roll. The tradition began in 1878, making the Easter Egg Roll one of  the longest traditions in White House history. This year’s theme was #gimmefive to support the First Lady’s Let’s Move initiative, marking its 5 year anniversary.

The first question everyone has… how do you get tickets?
Every year the White House holds a ticket lottery in February. You sign up, rank your desired time slots and cross your fingers you will win. If selected, you will receive an email in March with instructions. My jaw dropped when I received the congratulations email , I received the 7:30-9:30 am time slot. The most tickets you can receive are 2 adults and 2 children.  I invited my sister, nephew and little cousin. We stayed at the Westin, City Center, D.C.  the night before to make it feel more special. It was a little difficult staying in a hotel with a 2 year old after a Sunday full of Easter celebrations, but totally worth it. The Westin is only 5 blocks from the White House, so it made our early morning walk easier. 

It was an incredible experience. I think it’s safe to say that all Washingtonian still get chills when walking by the White House and I was lucky enough to stand on the South lawn (I am a Scandal addict and I kept thinking about Smelly Melly on the balcony eating fried chicken :) ) . There were so many activities including:  games, crafts, dancing, exercising, live music, animal information centers, basketball, egg hunts and of course, the Easter Egg Roll!  I wish I could say I got to see the live taping of Kelly and Michael or the Today show but it was still pretty cool to know they were there when I was!  

With 350,000 tickets sold it was a bit crowded but worth every line we had to wait through! I hear the President and the First Lady arrived around 10:30 am so we didn't get to see them in person (man!). When we left, we received the wooden 2015 Easter Egg Roll Egg, so special. The whole experience is something I will cherish forever.  I've already ordered a ton of photo's from shutterfly and a new image mouse pad to keep in my office.


Share in the Experience:


(Here's my mouse pad from shutteryfly.com Notice the Snipers on the roof!) 

Dominic(2) and Reganne (9)

Reganne enjoying the Arts and Crafts Table! 

Farm to table 'Eggs'ibit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment